Patrick Stewart Properties
Saturday, October 22, 2016
The Desert AIDS Walk is a grassroots community event supporting HIV and AIDS services, prevention, and advocacy at Desert AIDS Project (D.A.P.). Over the past 30 years, 31 Desert AIDS Walks have been held raising funds to help make it possible for D.A.P. to continue serving their clients with an unparalleled range of services:
- medical and dental care
- transportation assistance
- mental health counseling
- a Community Center with a variety of educational and social activities, including skills-for-living and back-to-work training
Simultaneously, they are working harder than ever, to help bring about an end to further HIV infection here in our community as the lead agency on Get Tested Coachella Valley. The goal of "Get Tested" is to get 100% of the Coachella Valley tested for HIV. This is critically-needed because:
- More than half of Coachella Valley residents have never been tested for HIV
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that approximately one in five people living with HIV do not know they are infected
- In our valley, the prevalence of HIV is more than twice the national average —putting everyone at greater risk
With each step we take and each dollar we raise, we can test more people, bring more people who are HIV positive into care, and move one step closer to an "AIDS free generation".
You can join my team's FUNdraising efforts today just by clicking the Donate Now button!